Sewer backups are a common biohazard that can affect homes and businesses. Water from sewer backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. SERVPRO of Cayce/ West Columbia and Lexington has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to safely clean and restore this type of contamination.
There are three types of contaminated water, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanup.
- Category 1: Clean water- Clean water is from a clean source, such as a broken pipe, or other water source. If clean water is left untreated, allowing bacteria to grow, it quickly can turn to category 2 or 3.
- Category 2: Gray water- Gray water has significant amounts of contaminants that could cause illness. Category 2 water may come from washing machine overflow, toilet overflow with some urine, or a dishwasher overflow.
- Category 3: Black water- Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water is typically caused by sewage damage, flooding, or any type of natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by trained professionals.
What to do after a Contamination:
Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to do after a Contamination:
Don’t leave wet fabrics in place.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where the ceilings are sagging.
Sewage backups and dark water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly deposits- these damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. When you have a water damage, don’t leave your property to chance, call SERVPRO of Cayce/ West Columbia and Lexington, we will remove the sewage, contaminants, and moisture, and help ensure the structure is properly cleaned, disinfected, and deodorized.