Carpet Truths and Myths
Most people have carpet in some part in their house. It’s great to step on when your feet are cold, and it’s also great for those of us who don’t enjoy sweeping. There are common facts about carpet that we all know to be true. For instance: red drinks are dangerous. There are some facts though that are less known. These 10 interesting facts about carpet are sure to make your jaw drop.
1. The stomach bug virus can live in carpet for more than a month.
2. For a 150-pound person, vacuuming for 30 minutes burns 125 calories.
3. To brighten your carpet sprinkle salt in it. Let it sit for an hour and vacuum it up.
4. When carpets are properly maintained and cleaned, they may actually be good for allergy sufferers. Carpet traps the dust and allergens in its fibers, making them less present in the air. On the other hand, if carpets are not properly cleaned and maintained, they are worse for allergy sufferers.
5. A person loses around 1.5 million skin flakes in one hour. The majority of these flakes become embedded in the carpet.
6. The five-second rule is a lie (shocker). Bacteria can live longer than 4 weeks in carpet.
7. Most people’s carpets are 4,000 times dirtier than toilet seats, and they are about 7 times dirtier than average city streets.
8. Early vacuums were so large that they took 3 people to operate them.
9. When they first came out, Hoover vacuum cleaners were difficult to sell, because potential customers refused to believe that they could have that much dirt in their carpets.
10. Carpet should be professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months.
Has it been awhile since you had your carpet professionally cleaned? There are tons of myths out there that say “having your carpet cleaned ruins it,” or “I only have to clean my carpet if it is stained,” or “cleaning my carpet will shrink it.” Most of the myths out there about carpet cleaning are well myths. If you hire a true professional, there are absolutely no negatives to having your carpet professionally cleaned. If you are due for a good, professional cleaning, contact us today for a free consultation.